Wednesday, May 4, 2011

E=mc2...the relative truth is easy to swallow

Einstein is best known for his work in general relativity, and for this, he is considered to be the father of modern Physics. His now famous equation, E=mc2 , seems a bit simplistic to some, but this discovery has essentially transformed modern Physics. How he arrived at this revelation is probably far more complicated than I could ever understand or explain, but when I think of this seemingly basic equation, I find myself pondering the possibilities, much like Einstein must have in the years leading up to his discovery.


While riding my bicycle recently, I found myself enjoying the fresh air, the sunshine, and the solitude which allowed me an opportunity to get lost in my thoughts. There is nothing like getting out for a little exercise to clear the cobwebs from your brain, especially when you are about to take your inaugural “spin” of the season after a long winter on the wind trainer. Although it had been several weeks since my last “ride”, I felt energized by the springtime sun, so the miles seemed to be roll by with relative ease. I mapped out my route beforehand, so all I had left to do was sit back, relax, be safe, and ponder life’s unsolved questions. It was great!

Right after I realized I had failed to bring along a water bottle, my thoughts turned to other things. I pondered participating in some short distance triathlons this summer, doing a little sailing or woodworking after a day at the office, or simply relaxing with my parents watching a Red Sox. It all seemed quite manageable because my calendar was virtually empty, except for the weekends. Then I had this epiphany, perhaps just like Einstein would have had. E=mc2! I finally understood what the equation represented, at least for an athlete like myself. Eating= more (cardiovascular exercise)x(cardiovascular exercise). It was genius maximus. I could feel the pace of my cadence quicken just pondering the real value of exercise; it allows you to eat and feel good about it afterward.

Exercise, consequently, turns out to be a fundamental variable in this equation which has so dramatically changed our understanding of modern Physics, and if one routinely engages in regular exercise, it will likely have a dramatic effect on one's "physique", just as Einstein discovered.  Of course, for those of us who enjoy regular exercise,  it's all "relativity" anyway.  Keep moving folks!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Cinco de Mayo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yiyi here,hope you and family are now together,theirs nothing better then the love of family.

    ReplyDelete