Saturday, July 9, 2011

It's Deja vu...all over again!

I am sure that you are familiar with the word deja vu; it comes from the French meaning to see again and in the case of a deja vu feeling one quite literally has the sense that they are reliving a prior experience.  Well,  riding north on the interstate the other day, I had one of those deja vu feelings, and let me explain.

When my daughter was just a "munchkin", about 18 months old or so, she and I were doing some Saturday morning errands which frequently included a trip to Sam's Club to walk around or to McDonald's for a happy meal.  After we had completed our appointed tasks, we were driving along the interstate on our way home.  We were passed by one of those large semis with the company name plastered across all sides of the sides of the trailer which read "Shaws" in bright orange letters.  There was nothing particularly striking about the moment until this little voice from the rear seat of the car shouted out in her little voice, "Shaws".  It was one of those father daughter moments that I will never forget.  To this day, every time I drive on this short stretch of highway, I have a momentary flashback to this precious memory and can almost hear that little voice from the back saying, "Shaws" while looking for the trailer passing me by.

Life offers us a million memorable moments, but Lord knows we can't remember them all.  In fact, we don't, but one just hopes that there are enough of those moments that you recall the underlying themes.  In this case, all I have to do is hop in the car and head north on this section of the interstate, because when I do, I hear that little voice, and that brings a smile to my face again...and again...and again...!

2 comments:

  1. I can relate, totally. Those flashbacks are wonderful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know you even had a daughter! Mainly follow your blog for exercise updates. Does she exercise with you?

    ReplyDelete