Friday, September 2, 2011

Proof there is a parallel universe

Recently, I was out for an early morning run and looked up at the last vestiges of the night sky in the west and the rising Sun in the east.  In spite of the effort spent getting my heart rate into my aerobic training zone, I often find that it is under these circumstances, that I do some of my most important thinking.  The pressures of life seem to melt away when one is distracted from it, even if it's just for awhile.  This particular morning was no different than any other day, but my thoughts had me thinking about the possibility of other life forms.  Could there be another group of individuals out there engaged in an exercise routine much like mine?

Years ago, I realized the benefits of regular exercise, but what I under appreciated was just how supportive doing that exercise with a group was to the consistency of training.  It was, and still is, far easier to get up each morning knowing that there is a group of equally "insane" individuals willing to brave the morning elements with you.  Of course, when you don't have such a connected group, then the motivation to get the exercise juices going comes down to pure self discipline.

Over the years, I have engaged in a variety of exercise routines, from running only, to running twice daily, and as my interest in triathlon grew, cross training with swimming and biking became an integral part of the schedule.  A typical week might go as follows:  swimming on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday;  running on Tuesday and Thursday; and a nice bike ride of Saturday morning.  More recently, however, the morning schedule was modified due to the lack of "water" for the morning swim, so spinning became a substitute.  Now, spinning is the Monday, Wednesday, Friday routine, with running on the alternate days.

What, you may ask, does all this mean?  Well, I have concrete evidence that, while I am engaging in my exercise program, I believe that there is another disciplined group of souls out there engaging in very similar activities at the very same time, proof positive that there is a parallel universe.  In fact, I am sure it exists because have seen them and have been included in their workouts, and they are just a great group of individuals.  However, there are some differences between the two worlds; after my workout I sit down to a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee, while I am willing to bet that my comrades are sipping a hot cup of Tim Horton's brew, and it tastes just fine, no matter where we are!

3 comments:

  1. Where did the water go???

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hymn, "this is my song", sung to the music of Sebelius' Finlandia summarizes these sentiments beautifully. Listen to it and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete