Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Julia Child's memory lives on

Had Julia Child been living today, she would be celebrating her 100th birthday, and with her volumes of recipes,  one can only imagine the menu at her party.  Although cooking is not among my many interests, the end result of those efforts generally has me circulating in the kitchen lurking to assist with the "cleanup".  Regardless of one's aptitude for the culinary arts, few would argue that Julia Child brought a unique "flavor" to her craft that will be difficult to recreate.

Julia Child spent a lifetime mastering her passion for cooking and then bringing it to an audience of "hungry" followers, but what many truly appreciated about her was her witty and carefree style with her TV audience.  My brothers and I occasionally would happen upon her show and were routinely entertained, not for cooking at our age, but for her perpetual lighthearted humor.  Her demeanor reminded us of our mother who took a similar approach to life in the kitchen and elsewhere, and it has been because of these similarities that the memory of JC lives on in living color for us.

Yes, Julia Child brought us French cooking, but more importantly,  she showed us how to master the simple joys of life.  This has been the recipe that my mother mastered best along with this icon of the kitchen.  So, when I hear my mother's voice, replete with her positive outlook on life, I am reminded of Julia and that will always keep her memory alive for  me.  Merci to the ambassador of Bon Appetit!


2 comments:

  1. Julia was priceless-as is Mom!!! J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watched a classic Julia on PBS last week. She was hacking up a load of different fish for a Boulibase. She whacked them with a very large cleaver. Mom didn't make boulibase that I recall, but she made a wonderful fish "chowda" and her scallop fish fry is legendary!
    Love
    S

    ReplyDelete