Monday, December 13, 2010

Fudge Factor

A fudge factor is a quantity introduced into a calculation in order to "fudge" the results: that is, to make them match better what happens in the real world.  In other words, if the results can not be absolutely explained or calculated, then you have to account for the differences through some variable or fudge factor.  As part of this holiday season of gift giving, people frequently prepare homemade cookies and candies, with fudge being one of the favorites, and boy do I have a story about fudge.

My older brother was the Graham Kerr amongst the boys.  He made lasagna, beef stroganoff, and a mean pecan pie, but he was the one who taught me how to make the "never fail fudge".  I recall my mother using candy thermometers and double boilers, which really intimidated me, but he said, "you don't need any of that; just use the recipe on the back of the Kraft marshmallow creme jar".  Certainly, I could read the directions; but there was a trick to it, and he was going to share that with me.  Boy, was I excited.  We mixed several of the ingredients together and brought all of that to a boil.  Without using the thermometer, we just cooked it at a rolling boil for 5 minutes, and then added the remaining elements.  After letting it set overnight, we had perfect fudge the next day.  Easy as "pie", I said to myself.  Anyone can do that.

However, the next time I decided to take my new found skill to the kitchen, I didn't quite end up with the "never" fail fudge, but ended up with a hideous, granular mixture of the ingredients that, well, failed at becoming fudge.  So, back to the master for another lesson I went.  This time, I took careful mental notes of his technique and was determined to never fail again.

Yes, fudge typically finds its way into those holiday tins, but as we "snarf" down those very sweet morsels, do we ever think of the concentration of pure sugar that we are consuming?  Heck no.  It's the holidays, and we aren't about to admit to anyone just how many pieces of fudge we may just have consumed.  If you find yourself in that position, just remind them about the "fudge factor".  In this case, it's whatever number you want it to be, but remember, just leave a little room for another piece!

5 comments:

  1. Making Peanut butter fudge tomorrow. Does that count as a protein?
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding PB to anything qualifies it then as being part of the protein food group for sure. Certainly, its true nutritional value should never be taken "litely" either, and I am sticking with thought!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the ingredients to make fudge today- but got Fluff instead of the Kraft. I hope it turns out as well. Brother L also made curtains for his apartment as I recall. A true renaisance man all round, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To borrow an altered line from the late comedian Flip Wilson - "Here come da fudge"!!! - the Fluff works great - I have used it many times successfully in the past. J

    ReplyDelete
  5. 11;30 PM - Just finished the PB fudge. Very Good and so glad I can count some as a protein!!! Actually- bringing most in to work tomorrow.
    Love
    S

    ReplyDelete