Thursday, December 2, 2010

One small step for...

When Neil Armstrong first stepped foot on the moon, he proclaimed, "it is one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind".  Many of us watched in awe back here on planet Earth, but if you were too young and tired like I was, you fell asleep during that historic event.  Those personal recollections may be entirely due to the wonders of archived TV film footage.  However, not all historical first steps have been captured on videotape, and consequently, they remain only imprinted in our mind's eye.  I remember one such event, and those first steps have grown into a "giant" leap for the youngster I call my daughter.

As we enter the holiday season, I am reminded of so many things, but none any more vivid than the memory I have of watching my daughter take her first steps on December 2nd.  When she was just 13 months old, I recall sitting in the living room with the Christmas tree lights on with carols playing in the background.  This was something that she and I did almost every night during the holidays.  On this evening, she was inching along the furniture just like every other night, but like some many other kids, she was ready to take those first memorable steps.  With the enthusiasm of a child, she took that "one small step" which would and has transformed her life forever.

Most of us have fond recollections from holidays past, and this was no exception for me.  Even today, I enjoy sitting in the light of the Christmas tree, listening to carols and simply letting my mind wander to those wonderful memories of an age gone by.  Imagine, if a child never took that first step how different their lives would be.  The world was forever changed when Christopher Columbus set sail for the New World and NASA decided to put a man on the moon.  Each of them had to take that very first step, and although my daughter's first step carries no historical significance, sharing that moment in time with her meant everything to me, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

3 comments:

  1. G O B E A R S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup-
    Nine and three!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps a Superbowl match up with the Pats?
    Go Pats!!!

    ReplyDelete