Monday, April 2, 2012

Life before the Big Mac

How many times have you heard the expression, "back in the day"?  Generally, when individuals are referencing the past, they may preface their remarks with this lead in phrase, as it's a nice way to prepare for some sort of reference to the past.  Of course, it usually means that one of the parties involved may not have a recollection of the past event.  Many people may remember, but there once was a day when you wouldn't see the landscape dotted with those very familiar "golden arches" we associate with hamburgers, french fries, and happy meals.  Well, I remember the very first roadside stop for a taste of a hamburger with that special sauce, so permit me to retell the story.


While driving through southern Connecticut in 1968, making one of our family visits to Long Island, my mother spied the now famous golden arches and suggested we try eating there for lunch.  Evidently, she had read about this "new" chain selling hamburgers, french fries, and the then recently released, Big Mac.  As for my brothers and I, we were just interested in eating anything.  In those days, the Big Mac came in a foil wrapper.  The ad campaign that familiarized America with the Big Mac went like this:  "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions on a sesame seed bun", and I suspect that any of us who grew up with McDonald's can hear that little jingle in the recesses of our mind right now.


Little did we know that that afternoon stop for a burger would be part of the first million burgers sold, and who knows how many billions have been served since?  Over the years, my brothers and I have done our fair share to insure the future of Ray Kroc's vision, but what we didn't appreciate, of course, was just how those golden arches would eventually dot the countryside.


In the words of the "famous prophet", Ferris Buehler, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."  Those words couldn't be more true today, as it only seems like yesterday when there wasn't a fast food restaurant at every highway interchange or in every small town.    In fact, if we wanted one of those famous hamburgers when I was still in high school, my sister would have to drive us to a nearby community, because there wasn't one just down the street.  


Yes, life was simpler years ago, and according to my parents, it was even more simple when they were kids.   However, on the rare occasion when I bite into a Big Mac these days, I am reminded of my youth, and it tastes just as good now, as it did the first time.  Some things never change!

2 comments:

  1. You got me thinking- haven't had a Big Mac in ages. Might be time to splurge.
    Just saw on TV a beautiful Salvation Army Center and family gathering place in Dorchester.MA. Indoor pool and water slides etc for after school. When Mrs. Kroc died she gave millions to the Army to build 22 of these centers around the country. So keep buying those burgers! Ronald McDonald thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall a stop at a McAdoos in AZ with you one time when we drove cross country together. You got a Big Mac and told me you could eat the entire thing in just several bites, while driving. And you did! Do you think they have pink slime in them these days?!

    ReplyDelete