Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Stairway to Heaven...just got easier

When I was in high school, Led Zeppelin came out out with their immortal song "Stairway to Heaven", and because of its popularity, it became the theme song for the prom that year.  I'm afraid that's about the extent of my memory for that segment of my life, but it always confused me because I really hadn't thought of the mode of transportation to heaven's gate.  In my minds eye, I envisioned some other sort of "teleportation" manner of travel.  However, in the end, as long as the final destination is realized, the mode isn't particularly concerning, now is it?

As the years have rolled by, my parents' ability to negotiate the stairs they once bounded up and down have become their personal Mt. Everest.  They carefully calculate their daily assault on the summit, and with the help of Sir Isaac Newton, they manage to bring themselves in for a return to base camp each morning and afternoon.  However, the perils of the twice daily trek were beginning to challenge even the most experienced "guides", so after the requisite team meeting, the decision was made to guarantee passage of that now treacherous ascent and descent ie. install the lift chair.

Now, just after a couple of weeks of commuting by rail, my parents have adapted to their new found freedom, and collectively, we have relieved ourselves of yet an additional worry, an unprotected fall from the top.  Life certainly has its ups and downs, and hopefully, none of them threatens the very fragile aspects that this life eventually offers.  However, for two individuals who one day will be welcomed at the eternal banquet table, they'll just have to settle for their slice of heaven here on earth where access just got a little bit easier!
 

1 comment:

  1. Great read and boy isn't it a terrific addition to the home! I LOVE it and especially treasure the way it moves our treasures.

    ReplyDelete