Friday, November 8, 2013

Expressions for life and we loved her expressions

Have you ever noticed how some individuals develop a personal style when it comes to expressing themselves?  It may involve greetings, goodbyes, or simply may be part of an ordinary conversation, but these expressions can be rather colorful.  In fact, I personally enjoy listening to the English because of their unique way of describing some things. It's quite refreshing to hear, and certainly exploits a very descriptive language.  Over the years, my mother enchanted us with her charming way of expressing her sentiments, so permit me to share just a few of those with you.

The Royal Wave
When I'd arrive home after a day of work my mother would greet me with, "Hello, my darling dear.";  When asked if she wanted a cup of tea, she'd say, "I'd love a cup of tea.";  How she'd have described a good weather day, "It was glorious or marvelous.";  If you were having a bad day or were faced with a challenge, she'd say, "We'll say a prayer."; If something tasted particularly good, "It was delicioso.";  After saying good night, I'd say I'll see you in the morning, and her response was, "God willing";  When she was asked how she was feeling, she'd say, "Surviving"; and if you greeted her with a nice big smile, "You have such beautiful teeth".

Expressions such as these were common place for my mother and have left us with a trail of memories that remind us of the person she was.  After entering a room full of people, she'd break the ice with her signature tag line, "Is everybody happy?"  Unfortunately, the answer these days isn't what she'd generally have had in mind, but it does bring a joyful tear to those of us who knew and loved her.  Mom, may God watch over you and keep you well!

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories to share. Reading your blog put a smile on my face. Who couldn't smile? I know that if I am having a bad day, I will think of what your beautiful mother said. I wish more people had her wonderful expression for life! It would be a better world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother's dear friends in her singing group are missing her too. Reportedly, she always greeted them warmly with her smile and grace, something they all cherished as well.

    ReplyDelete