Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Have you checked...?

For years, airline pilots have gone down their checklists readying the aircraft for take off.  There are several famous scenes in "Apollo 13" when mission control or the members of the flight refer to the checklist to insure that all the appropriate steps have been taken to complete a given procedure.  As most of us do before heading to bed, we go down a comparable checklist to be sure that everything is safe and in order before shutting off the lights.  

Well, my father was the master of checking things out before turning in for the night.     First, he'd turn down the heat and make sure the doors were locked.  He would then make a sweep through the kitchen to check that the stove was off and grab a tall glass of water for the night.  After completing his security check of the first floor, it was off to bed knowing that "the house" had been tucked in too.

It's funny, but even though my father isn't here to do this himself, I find that the ritual he created is a necessary part of my nightly routine.  As I check to make sure the doors are secure and turn down the thermostat, I am reminded of his attention to those bedtime rituals.  Lastly, I stroll by the stove to check it and then fill my glass with water before turning out the lights.  Thanks dad for such a simple but fond memory that will forever end my day!

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how that is. I go through that same nightly ritual with my home, making sure everything is safe and sound, turned off. I even switch on the radio and let it softly play throughout the night. It may sound sorta funny, I have a nightlight on too.
    I can get into bed and have to get up and double check again just to make sure. My dad taught me this too, although I don't ever remember him doing a double-check like me.

    ReplyDelete