Sunday, December 22, 2013

It's simple, just believe

Life is full of questions, and as we age, we begin to question things more and more.  Certainly, there are facts that can't be disputed, but some issues have no right or wrong answer, just different view points.  However, there are a host of beliefs that are not exactly factual, but there is evidence enough to convince us and the beliefs strong enough that they provide the foundation for our values.

My daughter and I recently attended the Boston Pops Christmas concert, and as part of the performance, they read the Polar Express.  Why not after all, for 'tis the season.  It was a wonderful rendition with the music in the background bringing the book to life.  When it came to the reason to believe in Christmas, what struck me the most was the simple line, "just believe".  How simple, yet how telling, as many of us have allowed the magic of Christmas to fade with time.

It's never too late to recapture that innocence, however, and it's never too late to believe in things that can not be explained.  When my parents passed away this year, I witnessed a beauty in death that I never thought possible, and one I know was directly related to their faith.  Their faith was passed along to them; one they nurtured and deepened by their own convictions.  That was the great gift  they planted in me and cultivated, until it became part of my being.

Christmas is a wonderful holiday, one steeped in tradition, but one that magnifies the innocence of a child.  Indeed, it is simple, have faith and just believe.  Merry Christmas everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you spent that day with your daughter, hope and pray for many more days for you both.

    ReplyDelete