Friday, February 5, 2010

All Queued Up

My friends and I are considering, after a little cajoling from within, trying the Navy Seals minimum skills test this summer. Unfortunately, we no longer meet the age requirements, but we'd like to challenge our skills at the physical fitness screening test.

The SEAL Physical Screening Test (PST) is as follows:

500-yard swim using breast and/or sidestroke in less than 12 minutes and 30 seconds
10-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 minutes
2-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
2-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups (no time limit)
10-minute rest
Run 1 ½ miles wearing RUNNING SHOES and SHORTS in under 11 minutes

Do we really think that we could "qualify" to be Navy Seals? Speaking for myself, even if I could, there is nothing in this PST that measures the commitment required to pursue this career tract. But, what the hey; let's give it our best shot, and see where that takes us. Sounds reasonable, wouldn't you say?

As we embark on this 4-6 month training program, I am reminded that we will need a few things. We must queue up for this of course, and the list includes: Number 1, we will need a safety boat when we do the swim portion. We have one, Squish. Number 2, we will have to practice sit ups and pull ups. This will, unquestionably, require some element of conditioning. Number 3, we are all quite reasonable swimmers, so this shouldn't be too overwhelming. Number 4, we will have to improve our running times by practicing quarter mile intervals on the track. I remain optimistic about this one, given my quirky Achilles tendon. Number 5, the pull ups will certainly pose a challenge, but we shall overcome and conquer this too.

As you can see, if we queue up for this properly, I do think we could, quite possibly, avoid being DQ'd, thus becoming Navy Squeals instead. Let's keep this all on the QT, however, because, if we fail, we don't want people to think we are quitters. After all, failure is not an option for this "GQ" bunch of guys. Anchors away!

1 comment:

  1. There's hope for me. I was at the rec center last night and was able to crunch out 40 situps in 2 minutes. I tried some pull ups and with the gravitron set at about -90# was able to do 3 sets of 10. Then I did 500 yards in the pool, about 400 breast and 100 side stroke. It took me 13:45. Today I'll do the preliminary push up test to see how far I have to go in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete