Monday, February 22, 2010

BBM's, a Collector's Edition

Zane Grey may have been the J.K. Rowling of his time, or at least my father thought so. Stories of travels out West, buffalo hunts, and gun fights were all part of the story line for this prolific early American writer. It developed into such a passion for him that he became a founding member of the Zane Grey Society and even a past president. As a byproduct for his enthusiasm to find a complete collection of first edition ZG's, the Maine coast became the target area for those coveted collectibles, and thus the family book buying missions were spawned.

There usually wasn't much of a scheduled agenda for these trips. The overnight accommodations were predetermined, but that was it. My sisters typically made the arrangements at any one of the dozens of mom and pop motels which dot those Maine coastal communities. Some of them had been destinations for us when we were making our way to the old homestead in Canada years before. I guess it was deja vu all over again. Breakfast, often times was followed by several stops at the used book barns to do some early "recon". When a rare book was discovered, everyone shared in the experience, and if there was an accompanying dust jacket, oh boy. Naturally, the grand kids were very much front and center too. After a morning of "wandering" along the roadways of Maine, the hunger pangs would remind us that there might have been an alternate purpose to those trips, getting a little "down home" cooking. There were the usual stops of course, both for books and food, but occasionally a stop to check out those "rare" antiques could be expected too.

Over the years, I do think my father found his share of valued first editions, and I, too, found a gem once at one of those hallowed haunts on my way through Elsworth. My father and I still talk about it, even today. However, the real treasures from those BBMs were not the books or the unusual antiques, but the priceless memories that were created for all to share. Hey, everyone. Come over here, and see what I just found!

1 comment:

  1. What fun we had. I wrote about the BBM's for the ZG review a couple years ago.
    I forwarded this blog to the Morton's who are dear friends and write the review. I thought they'd like to hear about those search missions again
    Love
    Susan.

    ReplyDelete