Friday, March 19, 2010

Sweeter than a Packet of Sugar

After dreaming of coming to Ireland for many years, I have finally made it to Emerald Isle. This, too, was the dream of my late grandmother, only hers was to return to the land of her birth, not visit for the first time. She was the quintessential grandmother, but to me and my siblings she was so much more. Oh yes, I probably have dozens of stories to tell about her, but while my brother, sister-in-law, and nieces wandered the streets of Dublin today, 2 things came to my mind as if they happened yesterday.

To me, my grandmother always looked like a grandmother what with her gray hair and wrinkles. As she became more arthritic, long before wheelchair ramps, she had to be carried into the house on a chair. It was just part of having Grandma at the house. For Christmas, just 4 weeks before she died, she received the gift of her dreams, a return flight on Aer Lingus to Ireland. Unfortunately, she never would return to the land of her birth because she died from Leukemia in January of 1969.

While walking the streets, I noticed the young lassies wearing their high heels and thought of my grandmother's shoes, those black wing tipped, low heels, tie shoes like the ones worn by Mrs. Doubtfire. Those were the only shoes I ever remember her wearing, and when it came time for a new pair, you guessed it, low heeled, black tie shoes, classics, just like the person wearing them.

Naturally, we wanted to sample the fare of the Dublin pubs, so we made our second trip out to the streets to take in the the atmosphere of Dublin at night. After enjoying a delightful meal of fish and chips, and a pint of ale, we had our dessert and coffee, a fitting end to this day of my dreams. After putting in the cream and sugar, I was once again reminded of Grammy McNeil. For years, she 'collected' the packets of sugar from restaurants to have in case there was another Great Depression or famine, both of which she survived.

So, how would rate my first day in the Ireland? It was a perfect 10! Sure, if the weather was a little warmer and a little drier, I wouldn't have objected, but that wouldn't have broadened my enthusiasm or smile any more than it already was. Those fond memories have been absolutely priceless for me, and in some strange way, I think Grammy was walking down those streets with us today, listening to the music and smiling every step of the way too. It was a long time coming, but she finally made it back, and I can just imagine the smile on her face. Thanks for the 'trip' down memory lane Grandma, and even today, you always know just how to make the dreams come true!

4 comments:

  1. It is a moving experience to be bcak there where Gramma was born. I was teary when we went through her town in Sligo. She was a character. Even during the depression she could dig up sugar at some warehouse in Boston. When she sent her friends they were told to just knock and say "Mary sent me." God bless you Mary Elizabeth Anne Flaherty McNeil. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're all reading this together in Amesbury and will toast you with beer and wine while we have steak tips. Wish we were all there.
    Love Susan,Mary, Mary Beth,Devin, Laura, Charlie and MAry and the kids,Chris, G & G, and Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tis a story that "warms the cockles of me heart"!!! Gram was a grand wee woman! Have some cabbage and bacon for me and a cup of tea for Gram while in the Emerald Isle!! Love to all - Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I remember when Paul and I gave her the tickets and wanted to take her to Ireland. She had a stipulation that Rita had to go also. As you said she didnt make the trip but she has the best view of Ireland from where she is now.

    ReplyDelete