Thursday, April 15, 2010

April 15th can be quite Taxing for Some

When I was in the the first grade, I had my first exposure to the tax man, Zacchaeus. He was a rather diminutive character who had climbed a tree in order to capture a glimpse of Jesus when he came into his town. I don't think that his being a tax collector made as much of an impression on me as his climbing the tree, but as I recall, few people cared for him. That was one of the talking points from the story, and even then, few individuals really were enamored with the tax man.

Here we are some 2000 years later, and the thought of taxes still causes angst for some. Of course, if you have paid your estimated taxes or had an adequate amount withheld from your paycheck, then April 15th is merely the date to have had your taxes filed, so you could be enjoying that tax refund already. However, if you are like most households, tax day means, it's time to ante up and pay Uncle Sam. I only hope that the taxes we pay go to good use, and that our legislators spend it as if it was their very own hard earned cash.

Yes, April 15th is synonymous with Tax Day here in the US. For some, it's just another day at the office, while for others, it is a day of high anxiety and lots of money shuffling. It can be a crazy day indeed, especially if you make your living as a tax accountant. As for me, today was a day off, and this year at least, I didn't worry about my taxes because they were long since filed and paid. My only deadline is to get this blog published before the "moke of stridnight". Otherwise, I'll be penalized for publishing it too late and may have to file for an extension. No, those rules don't apply to blogging, only to paying your taxes; and thanks to the Patriots and the Founding Fathers, I may just have a cup of "tea" before I call it a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment