Saturday, April 24, 2010

Put the spark in your golf swing

Harvey Penick wrote a series of books on golf, "The Little Red Book" and "The Little Green Book", that were filled with educational tips on golf, as well as insights into life. I remember after reading them, that golf, like many activities, should be fun, but the real bonus lies well beyond playing the game itself. However, while I was sifting through his instructional nuggets, I realized that his book wasn't totally complete. I believe there are a few lessons and observations from my "experience" that just might complement his time honored tutorials.

The first observation that I made was that playing a round of golf takes a remarkably inordinate amount of time. I believe this is why my father never really picked up the sport. My Uncles gave him several sets of their old clubs, trying in earnest to get him to become a convert to the game. However, with 8 kids nipping at his heels, it would have seemed more logical to pick up the clubs and head off to the links. But, my father, being an avid baseball player, made the choice to stay with his first love and introduce that to his children instead. Besides, even if he had enjoyed golf, I honestly feel that he would rather have spent his time the way he did, on his field of dreams.

And whatever became of those old JC Higgins and Spaulding golf clubs my Uncles passed on to my Dad? Since he wasn't using them, we started swinging them when we weren't playing baseball. We'd hit whiffle golf balls around the yard or frequently go over to Follansbee's/Messner's field to "tee" it up for some real live tree golf. One day while perfecting my swing out in the driveway, I realized that, if I swung the club just right, I could create a spark when it skidded across the pavement. Naturally, I practiced this for hours to get it just right, otherwise it would hurt like heck when I hit the driveway. I am quite sure that Mr. Penick didn't have his disciples doing this, but it sure proved to be an excellent drill. As you'd have predicted, those clubs acquired a certain used look about them after several years of "practice".

Although these two gospels of golf are rather comprehensive, there is absolutely no mention of either of these very fundamental concepts. The technique I personally developed may never become mainstream thinking for golf lessons, and I am completely comfortable with that. Good ideas don't always make it to the forefront. However, taking the time teaching a game you know and love and passing it to your children, that is the priceless lesson here. Perhaps that is the underlying tenet that all good teachers are able to share with their pupils, regardless of the subject matter. Although my Dad never really played golf, Mr. Penick would have admired his accomplishments. He always had a good "grip" on things, his "practice" habits were unparalleled, and if he had to yell "four", he always did it twice, just to be sure all "8" of us were included. Thanks Dad for keeping us on course and in the short grass!

2 comments:

  1. We could have had a "rough" life but fortunately for us Dad spent lots of time with us at the ball field where "fivesomes" and "sixsomes" and "moresomes" were accepted!!!!! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom and Dad really liked it. "We loved being with you'"
    Love
    Susan

    ReplyDelete