Thursday, April 22, 2010

Being a has "Ben" isn't so bad

Generally when you think of someone who's a has been, you think of an individual who is no longer in their prime, or maybe just someone who is OTH (over the hill). Ordinarily, this particular depiction may not be too flattering, wouldn't you agree? Well, while I was listening to NPR this morning on my way in to work, I heard a segment that may just change your perspective on a has "Ben".

The US Treasury is evidently releasing a new rendition of the $100 bill because counterfeiters have been able to duplicate the bill so well. Unfortunately, we live in an era when the criminal mind believes that "making" money the old fashioned way isn't good enough. Of course, the advances in various technologies have made it increasingly more difficult to prevent this illegal behavior, so the only way to stay ahead of the criminals is to alter the currency periodically.

If one considers a has been as someone who is past their prime, then I suppose the 1996 edition of the Ben Franklin adorned $100 is now a has been too, as it will likely be taken out of circulation in favor of the newer version. However, if I had a $100 bill in my pocket, I could be considered a has "Ben" too, and that sounds more like money in the bank to me. You know, I just might enjoy being known as a has "Ben"!

No comments:

Post a Comment