Saturday, October 9, 2010

Life's on a flash drive

In this age of computers, the amount of memory and the speed appear to be ever changing. I remember my first desk top computer, a Macitosh, which had a "massive" amount of memory, 40mb. I expanded it to the unheard of amount of 80mb, before I moved on to something "bigger" and "faster". Of course, those of us who have evolved with these desk tops, are now the dinosaurs in our society, a pleasant bit of symbolism, wouldn't you agree? Regardless, with each passing phase of the technology boom, newer features are being added and their size forever getting smaller. The flash drive comes to mind when I consider these microchips. My newest flash drive has more memory on it than my very first computer and fits in my pocket. Wow, I say! Well, as I embark on another year of my life, I think of it, too, as a flash drive.

Several times over the years, my father recounted the day that I was born. To this day, I am amazed at his ability to recollect such events, since there were so many of us. The story has never changed though, so I am quite sure that it is accurate. He'd take my older sisters and brother out for a ride and end up at the hospital. Somehow, he'd let the nurses know that they were all out in the parking lot, so my mother would come to the window and wave hello. In those days, no one was permitted in to visit, especially children, so this was the next best thing.

When I was just a week old, I have been told that my sister tripped over an open oven door and tossed me across the kitchen floor. Everyone has always said that life is full of its ups and downs, but I simply managed to get my baptism by fire far earlier than most newborns. Naturally, I have no recollection of this, but I do remember my father being concerned that I hadn't given up the bottle by age 3-4. I couldn't figure out why everyone was so worried about it, after all, if you threw it or dropped it, nothing ever spilled. Consequently, it seemed quite logical to me that this avoided the risk of accidentally spilling that precious "nectar".

Over the years, I have experienced and endured: broken bones, multiple lacerations, school, earning several degrees, camping across country, marathons, including Boston, triathlons, especially an Ironman, open heart surgery, hiking mountains, swimming across lakes, the thrill of sailing, rock climbing, and yes, the list seems endless. However, all of this pales in comparison to being a father, a friend, a brother, an uncle, a cousin, and a son, because without any one of you, my life would not have been even remotely fulfilled. I sometimes reflect on one of my favorite movies, "It's a Wonderful Life", and get this sense that it is just hurdling by in such a "flash", that there won't be enough time to complete it all. However, I realize that I have had a wonderful life, and with any luck, it's only the intermission, because I've got a lengthy bucket list. To you, my family and friends, thanks for the memories that we have made together, and here's hoping that the flash drive has plenty of unused memory!

6 comments:

  1. What's on your bucket list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey fellow triathlete!
    Found your blog by accident. You are one lucky dude to have such a supportive family! My wife dumped me last year and my own parents sided with her. They all said that I was selfish for pursuing my passion for taking care of myself and the thrill of competing and training. Love, love, love to train- but it seems that's all I have left in my life. Sounds like you realize how lucky you are! I am envious because you are so happy! You the MAN! Best of luck with your bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Brother!! I was the one who dropped you. (I also tossed L. after tripping over the vaccume). Thank God you 2 survived me being Mom's helper!! I remember well standing in the parking lot at the hospital, thrilled that I had a new brother. And you've never disappointed. I'm so proud of you. Love you lots.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO
    WTF
    something is piling up on your flash drive and it isn't memory . . . do you have a plunger handy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. next on Bucket List: walking on water

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walking on water obviously is something that the Creator alone can do; however, He equally is responsible for giving us our intelligence and the changing weather, and when water freezes, even we mortals can pretend!

    ReplyDelete