Thursday, October 7, 2010

Whose anniversary is it anyway?

The calendar is marked by days, weeks, and months, and each year we celebrate the holidays and make room for all those other special days. Some are not celebrated every year, such as baptisms and graduations, but of course, there are those that are, like birthdays and anniversaries. When you come from a large family, there are plenty of important dates, but who can remember them all?

Because the Fall is such a great time of year, October became the month for big events, therefore there are several anniversaries to celebrate. My sister and her husband were married on the 2nd. They had a lovely reception at Abenaqui CC, an area country club on the coast. My youngest brother and his wife enjoyed their wedding on the 12th which was another terrific Fall day. This time the parties gathered at Vesper CC which is where my sister had been a member for a number of years. My older brother and his wife had a slightly overcast day and a brisk breeze. The reception was held just outside of Albany. It was a grand day, except that the Mets came back to beat the Red Sox in that memorable game 6 of the '86 World Series. My Uncle and Aunt were married on the 28th in Salem and held their reception at the glorious Spray Cliff Inn in Marblehead. I remember carrying a bottle of Ginger Ale around just so that I could pretend to be drinking that bubbly stuff.

Yes, October has been a month of memorable dates and anniversaries. Not to be upstaged, my Mom has a birthday in October too, so there isn't any lack of opportunity to hold a family gathering to celebrate. As I sit here, I have this gnawing feeling that I have forgotten one. Oh well, it will probably come to me on another day or in my dreams. C'est la vie!

6 comments:

  1. It's coming . . . .
    Wait for it . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct my good friend......The calendar is marked by days, weeks, and months, and each year we celebrate special days. Especially today, October 9th, which is a very special day to me.

    There are 2 people I hold close to my heart that were born on this day. One is John Lennon, who would have turned 70 years old today and the other is my life long best friend Stephen Anthony Schissel!

    As much as I have enjoyed the Beatles and their music through the years, it pales in comparison to the friendship and memories I have with my ole pal "Schizz"!

    Through early childhood, high school and college we were pretty much inseparable. As you, my friend, mentioned in your February 13th Blog...... Where you found one of us, you always found the other.

    At times.....There are days when I look back on my childhood and wonder "Was I a Cashman or a Schissel"? I spent so much time playing, eating, and sleeping at the Schissel home on Estes St, I actually felt like I had 8 additional siblings and two wonderful extra parents! The Doc and Rita probably should have claimed me as a dependent on their yearly taxes!

    And I must say, in addition to my own loving family, if I had to pick another family to be a part of and welcomed into......I couldn't have picked a better one! Lucky me!

    I have such fond memories of a childhood gone by with my good buddy Schizz and his awesome family. I look back on so many great times....like....Playing army on our walks down to the weekly rosary at St Joe's church....like....Cross country skiing through the woods at the top of Estes St and falling in snow drifts so high you thought you'd never get out and laughing so hard I think we wet our pants....like....The long training runs through the streets of Amesbury at 12 midnight....like....Playing "54" holes of golf in one day at Old Newbury Country Club....like....Playing golf with sister Jean and always losing to her(Boy she was good!)....like....The all night games of "King Oil", which sisters Susan, Betsy or Mary Teresa usually won....like....Games of hoop in the driveway with brothers Larry, Charlie & Jim....like....Watching "The Schizz" put up the winning basket in over-time with 2 seconds left in a game against Cardinal Spellman High School during the 1974 Bay State Tournament which got us into the semi-finals(I was never so proud and happy for my good friend)....like....The 4 years at Umass which have endless memories....like....The two of us rooming in a triple at Umass with brother Charles Edward in room 319 Moore House....like....Putting a winter hat over your head and eyes while lying in the back seat of the brown Matador and having someone drive around the streets of Amesbury and having to guess where you were at any given time.

    I could go on forever, but I'll stop there. These are memories only a childhood chum could have and I will never forget the fun we had through those years.

    I can honestly say I have had no greater friend in my life!

    That said, I just wanted to wish my best friend Stephen Anthony a very Happy "54th" Birhtday and to let him know that his ole buddy "The Chopper" thinks of him and my "second" family often with great fondness and look forward to the next time we can get together and create more wonderful memories!

    Peace and Love - Charlie "The Chopper" Cashman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chopper -I remember King "Earl" Oil, very well. You were a big part of our family. Stop by Estes St. We'd love to see you.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chopper,
    One of my fondest memmories was when you and Steve took me to see "The Longest Yard" at the Salisbury drive-in. What a thrill to get to hang out with the big boys. ... "Sonny, do you want to play football, we're playing the guards"?

    James

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue & Jim,

    Let me try this again. Sent it once, but apparently it didn't go. WELL, WELL, WELL, King "Earl" was a great game which brought us all together for hours.......kind like Scrabble did! Awesome game, which by the way I have not been able to find in any toy store since we played it back then! I think mother Rita bought the only one ever produced! Hey brother Jim! How are you? Yes I remember going to see "The Longest Yard". Do you remember what happened to Ray Nitschke alias guard Bogdanski??? OUCH!!!! Mean Machine....Mean Machine....Mean Machine!!!! Toooo funny! By the way, my sister in-law is a flight attendant for Coninental Airlines(now United).
    I told her to keep an eye out for you. As I recall, you are/were flying for them, right? Maybe I'm wrong.....Memory is starting to go....tough to get old! Anyway guys, I hope you're both doing great and your families are well! Hope to see you both sometime soon. Say hi to all my "second" set of brothers and sisters. Hope they're all doing well too! Sue, say hi to Bill for me! Peace and Love, Charlie "The Chopper" Cashman

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will get the best anniversary celebration places near me as per your choice without any doubt to celebrate anniversaries.

    ReplyDelete