Saturday, October 30, 2010

"More times"

Have you ever had something taste so good that you just couldn't wait for a second or third bite? Perhaps, it was so good that you wanted seconds. However, at some point in time you would find yourself full enough that, regardless of the gastronomic delight, if you took another bite your eyes would pop out. Sound familiar? Well, there is a law in Economics which captures this concept called the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility, and although it applies under most circumstances, just like most rules, you can always find an exception; allow me to explain.

The day my daughter was born the East coast was being hammered by hurricane Grace and "The Perfect Storm". She barely let out an utterance, even though her arrival was almost as stormy as the weather outside. However, her demeanor then and now has remained far more calm than the seas on that October day. She progressed through the newborn stages like any other healthy child and eventually got her sea legs and began to walk. Right about that time, The Simpson's had become popular, and we adopted Bart's "cowabunga", as our "flight" song. She would stand on the stairs and shout out, "cowabunga" and then jump into my arms, and just when I thought she was finished, she'd say, "more times". If I hadn't run out of energy, she would have done this until the "cows" came home, and there were none in sight.

Coincidentally, this was about the same time I realized that, if I was going to keep up with this little bundle of energy, I better get myself into shape; so thanks to my daughter because she provided the impetus for a lifelong commitment to good health through exercise.

As she prepares to celebrate her 19th birthday, I find myself wondering, where has all the time gone since those days of absolute innocence and boundless energy? Although it seems like just yesterday for me, it has been a lifetime for her, and to that I say, "cowabunga". Here's wishing you a Happy Birthday, and may you celebrate them "more times" and many "more times" to come. I love you with all my heart, and this is something I will never get tired of saying!

9 comments:

  1. All children should be so lucky to have a great Dad like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ignorance speaks loudly, so as to be heard: but it's volume proves reason to doubt every word."
    "Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance."

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the author of this blog, share with me and the entire readership, what is the relevance of your remarks? I have simply written a birthday tribute to my daughter. Enlighten us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, IM Shizz. I thought it a warmhearted story and good birthday tribute. I don't know what it was Anonymous is trying to say. Maybe Anonymous was inadvertently responding to some other blogger or else hearing voices in his or her head when writing the comment. Anyway, IM Shizz, good story. I am happy I stumbled on your blog some time ago. Always a pick me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice remembrance of happy times with your kid. As my child gets ready to turn 19, I can "feel your pain" over how quickly they grow up and how you wish you could always protect them from the negative influences and events that creep into our lives one way or another. Now she is an adult and you can't be there to catch her when she jumps, but you helped to give her the wings to fly on her own when she does. Cowabunga!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ARE an awesome father IM Shizz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Miss Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto- Happy Birthday M!!
    Remember these lovely thoughts from your father. He is terrific and you are a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The response was in reply to MTSR...Lucky??? Sometimes things aren't really as they seem and this is one huge example... truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding,DISBELIEF, or ignorance.
    A.

    ReplyDelete