Sunday, November 14, 2010

Always putting his best foot forward

Undoubtedly, you have heard of the expression, "put your best foot forward".  According to one source, the meaning is:  1. to do something as well as you can   2. to start to walk more quickly.  When I think of one of my good friends, this is the phrase that epitomizes his approach to all aspects of his life, and let me explain.

Several years ago, when I was walking through the lobby of the local  hospital, my friend approached me and  asked whether I was still swimming in the morning.  I said, of course we were, and he then wanted to know what our schedule was.  Naturally, I shared all of this with him, but was curious as to why he wanted to know.   He told me he had a degenerative joint in his foot, and consequently, was forced to give up his running.  However, being as athletic as he had been over the years, simply necessitated a change in sports; it was time to become a swimmer, and he has.  Not only has he become a swimmer, but he has become a very good swimmer.  His kids chuckled at his "unorthodox" swim strokes, but now that we have been swimming together for 12-13 years and they were to see him swim today, I suspect that they might have a slightly different opinion about it.

During that time, he also started to join us on our Saturday morning bike rides.  Even after a surgical fusion of his ankle, swimming and biking seemed quite doable, but his real exercise passion was running.  With all the physical therapy we prescribed, his foot pain began to diminish, and this allowed him play golf more comfortably, but also allowed him to join us in his first passion, running.

Ever since our first discussion in the hospital lobby, GLK has been a titan regarding his regular participation in our training program.  However, not only is he a regular with us, he and wife have been tireless supporters of  local civic groups and can regularly be seen at local athletic events to watch their kids during their participation in school sports.  Yes, as my friend celebrates his birthday, I would just like to wish him Happy Birthday from all of us.  Through your determination and dedication, you have shown us and everyone else that you have defied the odds.  That comes as no surprise to us because you have always put your best foot forward, and because of your hard work, you have 2 best feet!

1 comment: