Saturday, November 27, 2010

Bad form runners are on pace to be good

When I began running years ago, my running partner friend said, "would you just pick a pace and stick with it".  At that time, I couldn't appreciate what he meant because I was just running along and didn't realize I was changing my tempo at all.  Now that I have been running through parts of 5 decades, I have a greater understanding of pace, however, what has become painfully apparent is that loss of speed.  Oh well, at least my friends and I are enjoying ourselves, and we are still participating and not just talking about those "glory days".

As part of our ongoing efforts to improve, one of our friends, whose brother is a proponent of Good Form Running, enlightened our group on Thanksgiving morning with a brief seminar on GFR.  Anyone can access their website to get additional details about this concept, but essentially it incorporates 4 basic fundamentals, posture, mid-foot strike, cadence, and lean.  Like in so many other sports, there appears to be an optimal technique which actually may make us better runners, and here I thought running was just about repeatedly putting one foot ahead of the other.  For the last couple of days now, we have tried to blend in these elements with our running, and although it makes sense, it isn't an easy task.  After all, we have been practicing "bad form running" for so many years.  Nonetheless, we are all excited about trying this out because with better form, perhaps, we can avoid all those annoying injuries that we "old folks" seem to get.

In so many areas of life, fads seem to come and go and in sports, they are equally as common.  However, until there is more experience, widespread acceptance, and proven benefit to these alternatives, fads will remain just that, fads.  In the case of GFR, I believe this will become the standard, and for an aging group of runners, it is time for us to run to the beat of a "different drummer".  In fact, if we stand tall, hit the road with our "mid-feet", "run" to the beat, and lean into it, I believe we can become good form runners too!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Schizz!
    Great blog... only wish I had a group like you do. Finally brought up my dream to my wife and um didn't go over so well. I let her read your blogs and her first statement was- your daughter had to be home schooled because of the sleeping in comment. My kids are up between 6 and 6:30 so that would be a problem.
    Again any suggestions aside from my wife home schooling? Also, she wanted to know how many hours you trained after work? Sorry, so many questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,
    Yes, I have a wonderful group of friends. Fortunately, we all enjoy the exercise, but we are friends first and foremost. The exercise is a choice to live healthy lives, but because of it, we have been enriched in so many other ways too.
    Deciding to do an IM is a personal decision, but it isn't worth it without the full support of your family. After all, they are your primary commitment, especially with young children, and having their support will make the entire experience that much more fulfilling.
    My daughter wasn't home schooled, but she and her mother slept in on weekends. I shared taking her to school, picking her up, and doing homework with her as any other parent, hopefully, would have, even with the training schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Schizz...
    Well, it's a no go for this guy. My wife told me to make out a week's schedule and add 2-3 hours (I just do one hour a day now) to my already hectic day. Man, you must be superman!
    We had a somewhat reasonable discussion which didn't go my way. There was no way I could justify to her a minimum of 18-20 hours/week.
    Wish I knew how you did it! I am somewhat perplexed myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan,

    Don't despair. Life is full of opportunities, but the timing has to be right. Train for life, be a role model for the family and include them in your goals, and you will always be an IM in their eyes! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, by the way. One of the members of our running group did the Hawaiian IM at age 68 and finished 2nd in his age group. He continues to be an inspiration for all of us.

    ReplyDelete