Monday, December 14, 2009

A Lighthouse, a guide for the soul

Growing up along the New England coast provided me with some wonderful memories like eating lobster rolls or fried scallops on the deck of some mom and pop roadside stand, the endless rows of antique stores, and the quintessential Maine lighthouse. We were just a stones throw from the NH border and with its' miniscule coast line, Maine was just "down" the road a piece. "How lovely!", my mother would say as we meandered up the coast for our scenic drives.

Nubble Light was one of those frequented destinations. My grandmother would ride in front with my Mom at the "helm" while my brothers and I would stare out the car windows watching the lobsterman pulling in their traps. The smell of the salt air would open our nostrils like nothing else in this world. Why Nubble Light? Because it was there. My mother was always fascinated by the sea. She'd explain to us the derivation of various terms such as, Down East as part of her "guided tour". We loved it.

But, what about the light houses? She'd talk about them as if she was a veteran sea captain aboard her ship heading up and down the coast, maybe a run from Boston to Bar Harbor or even onward to Nova Scotia. A little geography lesson along with her dramatized guide to seamanship. All of this was imagined while we sat eating our lobster rolls and chips. What a field trip indeed. We could feel the pitch of the sea, even on dry land. The lighthouses, she'd say, offered markers of warning to the ship's captain notifying them of the dangers of rocky shoals and the "no go zones" along the coast.

As I reflect back on these childhood junkets, I realize that the lessons learned go far beyond the obvious "tales of the sea". My brothers and I were being guided by the captain herself. She was educating us, but more importantly, she was providing us with direction and purpose. The Captain's message was clear; know where you are going, maintain a steady course, and the light will keep you safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment