Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What happens when your brain freeezes over?

While having a bowl of ice cream recently, I had one of those sharp, unpleasant brain freezes that remind you that maybe you should just slow down and enjoy it. Fortunately, they don't happen too often, but when they do, it takes your breath away. My friends and I believe there may be an environmentally induced phenomenon as well.

Last night the overnight temperature dropped to a chilly 18 degrees. I could hear the furnace come on several times during the night, reminding me of the season. As you'd expect, when the alarm went off, my body moved out of that nice warm bed as if it was molasses in the cold night air. I gathered my things as I readied myself to meet my "comrades", but even that seemed to be in "slooow" motion. This wasn't the typical morning routine.

As I started the car, I was thankful that there wasn't any frost on the windshield, further delaying my departure from home. While on my way, I received a call from another member of our running group saying he was "running" late as well. Peculiar, but not unusual, I thought. Was it the conditions, coincidence, or just the time of year. Who knows? We all managed to convene at some point, and completed our morning constitutional; today it was running.

How does one interpret such behavior? Generally, the group of us meets, and we head off for some sort of exercise venture. But today, we seemed more "dysfunctional". My explanation, may be, it was simply too cold. Global warming hadn't had much impact on us. The only explanation, it must have been colder than hell, otherwise your brain freeze is over!

1 comment:

  1. This behavior? The process is sometimes dysfunctional but we always produce a satisfying round of exercise and friendly conversation and support with whoever shows up; we even extend to or feel support of those who didn't make it that day. Some days it is just a different stew.

    ReplyDelete