Saturday, December 12, 2009

PB & J, it's what's for ...

Remember the series of commercials promoting the beef industry? The background music was Aaron Copland's, Hoedown from Rodeo, and at the end, the gentleman said, "Beef, it's what's for dinner". It remains vivid in my mind, and when I hear Hoedown, that's the image I immediately get. What advertising.

Well, I was thinking about food the other day, not uncommon for me, and I thought to myself, what gastronomic delight would I place at the top of my food chain? Actually, I posed this question, "If I was stranded on a desert island, what would I choose, having my pick, to survive on this island?" Would it be ice cream, chocolate, beef, macaroni, milk, eggs, or some other fundamental foodstuff. It would be difficult not to choose ice cream. Afterall, I believe I possess a single, dominant, gene locus that requires a daily dose of ice cream, simply to sustain life!

Now then, although ice cream ought to be considered a food group unto itself, I realized that the PB&J would be my #1 menu item. Granted, there is more to a PB&J than just peanut butter, but hey, give me some latitude. When I did the IM in Lake Placid several years ago, I made the PB&J my main course on the bike ride. When I was in school, I had a PB&J sandwich before each and every test. That was alot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. When I was a kid, my mother would offer me a PB&J when nothing else seemed appealing? The very basic peanut butter and jelly sandwich, for me, it hits all the food groups.

Just imagine one now; two pieces of fresh bread with a thick layer of peanut butter on each and a generous helping of your favorite preserve, for me, rasberry please. Doesn't that sound tempting right now? Ooh! I can almost taste it now.

I love Aaron Copland's, Hoedown, and I probably will never be able to separate the song from the subtle message it sends about beef. But who cares? It's the PB&J that has my vote, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So, start spreading the word because that's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

3 comments:

  1. This is funny. Earlier today I was at the grocery and while being elbowed aside by little old ladies who were on a mission to bake cookies I noticed that "Peanut Butter and Jelly" had its very own sign above aisle 8. Everything else was very generic reading simply "Baking needs" or "Condiments." I thought to myself, "How interesting. That really says a lot about PB&J and Americans." Now I find that this gooey combination of deliciousness is your topic for today's blog. It must be a sign...but of what I'm not sure. Perhaps I should go have a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course every great meal requires the perfect beverage to accompany and cmplement it. A good cabernet with a steak, perhaps a dry chardonay with a nice piece of fish, pizza and beer. Naturally one would need some milk on that desert island with that pb&j.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just had PB & a bagel for dinner. Interesting note, PB&J is probably the perfect desert island food. See how other people answered (usually incorrectly) which desert island food would be best: http://www.digitaltrainer.ca/blog/2009/12/what-would-you-bring-to-a-desert-island/

    ReplyDelete