Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Random acts of meaness may be a reflection on you

With only 2 more shopping days until Christmas, you should be just about "wrapped" up with your holiday gift buying. If you aren't, then join the millions of other Americans who have procrastinated or who are looking for those last minute deals. This isn't a new behavior though. I, for one, am acutely aware that it has been around at least since I started in with the tradition.

But, what is Christmas all about? This is the very question that Charlie Brown queries his pals during this seasonal special. Linus, of course, answers without hestitation, "Sure CB, I know what Christmas is all about". He then launches into the often heard passages from the Good Book proclaiming the birth of Jesus. At the end of his little homily, he proclaims, "That's what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown". Sound familiar?

Over the years, I have witnessed numerous, random acts of kindness. After the 9/11 attacks, that behavior was painfully obvious As a nation, we reverted back to caring for our fellow man, perhaps even more so than ourselves. Under trying times, it was what we needed as a society.

As we approach Christmas, let us all take a moment to look in the mirror. I wouldn't want to see some mean, old Scrooge. What I'd want to see is myself; me, an individual, just like you who wants to be treated with respect, dignity, and the love that each of us deserves. That my friends is the gift we all should share, and wouldn't that be a beautiful reflection of us all?

No comments:

Post a Comment