Tuesday, September 7, 2010

No Room At The Inn

Arguably, the most recognized story ever told involved a certain couple who were informed that there was no room for them at the inn. Instead, they calmly went off to a stable, and from there, I suspect most people are familiar with the turn of events of that famous night. The simplicity is wrought with symbolism, and has been debated for years. However, it certainly illustrates several key issues. If you are tired enough, you probably can sleep just about anywhere, and perhaps most importantly, humble beginnings don't necessarily predict the importance or magnitude of the final outcome. As my parents celebrate their 64th wedding anniversary, I'd like to recall the story of their first night, as it has been retold to me.

My parents were married on September 7th, 1946 at St. Clement's church across the street from her Bristol Road home in Somerville, Massachusetts. The pictures I have seen captured the spirit of the day, lots of happy, smiling faces. The bridal party consisted of my mother's school friends, one of my father's brothers, and several of my Mom's brothers. In those days, it was hard getting everyone together, primarily because of the distance, but whoever was invited and could get there, did. Following the wedding service, the invited guests made their way to Longfellow's Wayside Inn in Sudbury, MA., not too far from the campus of Regis where Mom went to college. Evidently, the reception was a great success, but according to a reliable inside source, the groom picked up the tab for the orchestra, as there was a slight shortage of available funds.

Following the usual send off from the family and friends, the newlyweds headed out of town for the quaint New England community of North Conway, only their reservations for the honeymoon suite were lost. Instead of a romantic first night, the couple were directed to a local funeral home where there was a room available for rent. Indeed, there probably were few "souls" looking for lodging at the local funeral parlor that night. I understand that the inn did have a room for them the next day. Naturally, during their stay the young bride wanted to impress her new husband, so she washed his socks in the local stream, only to have the color run onto the Inn's nice white towels. Not exactly the outcome she had desired, but nonetheless, the good faith gesture was appreciated and clearly not to be forgotten.

Yes. There are times in a marriage when the inn may be full, the reservations misplaced, not enough money to pay the bills, or a whole host of other calamities. However, it is how each couple deals with the adversity they face that truly tests the strength of their commitment and resolve. If it isn't obvious, my parents had all the ingredients to get past those initial obstacles and a whole lot more. How else could two people stay happily married for 64 years? Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad, and remember, your family will always "keep the light on" for our two most treasured guests!

2 comments:

  1. Years ago, my sister asked family and friends to write something special about my parents when they celebrated their 50th anniversary. I still have the return envelope because I failed to get something written for that occasion. Well, I finally have my entry for that album, and thankfully, Mom and Dad are still celebrating it. I love you, we all love you, family and friends alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are special- We had a nice dinner together on Wednesday night where I learned some new facts about their first date- Just a tease here, story to be told at a family gathering- Mom's 92nd ?
    Love you both
    S

    ReplyDelete