Sunday, September 26, 2010

This triathlete thanks you with all my heart

Damn Yankees is a musical comedy, and is a modern retelling of the Faust legend set during the 1950s in Washington, D.C., during a time when the New York Yankees dominated Major League Baseball. The musical is based on Douglas Wallop's novel, "The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant". The Washington Senators were perennial losers at the hands of the Yankees, consequently, the players made a deal with the devil to assist them in making a pennant run. One of the musical's classic songs has the players singing about the need to have heart, miles and miles of heart in fact. Well, when it came to having heart, the players were talking about their emotional commitment, but when it comes to competing in a triathlon, you better have both, for miles and miles, too.

Months before I was faced with what was a life threatening event, I competed in the Scioto River, Duathlon, in Prospect, Ohio. What I remember most about that particular race were the headwinds. After the race, I recall that they must have been stronger than usual, because my back hurt, and that ordinarily wouldn't have been an issue. It improved quickly, but for the rest of the summer, it would flare up and prevent me from running with any degree of regularity. Consequently, when I was out for my usual runs, I recall that the hills became more and more difficult. I distinctly remember thinking that I previously had been able to run those hills, without significant difficulty. Naturally, I just thought that I was suffering from under training , and not from some more serious affliction. After all, I was getting older.

Because of the ongoing back pain, the relative fatigue, and the inability to prepare properly, I decided, early in the summer, to do the Lobsterman Triathlon in Freeport, Maine, instead of the Survival of Shawangunks (SOS). My parents would be celebrating their 57th wedding anniversary, so it made logical sense to head for NE and enjoy a nice Fall weekend on the Maine coast and celebrate the occasion with the family. The Lobsterman was truly a terrific race, both with respect to the venue, and the race organizers couldn't have ordered up a more perfect day. The conditions were ideal, and of course, the race was only part of a very memorable anniversary celebration.

Little did I know then that the Lobsterman would be my last for awhile. The following week, after a run with my daughter, I developed a chill, one that I will never forget. I thought that I had finally overdone it and was coming down with the flu. I even told several of my patients that they probably had the same "viral" illness, however, no one ever wants to contract the "flu" I had, let me tell you.

Fortunately, I did have the good sense to call my dear friend and colleague who had previously agreed to see me, if I ever got really sick. When I called, I said that I think that I've got the "flu", but it's not like any flu I've ever had. As my color turned grayer with each passing day, the staff and patients alike, became more concerned, but when the lab work, EKG, and chest x-ray were all completed, that's when I got concerned. As my doctor digested the findings, his radar went up and he then solicited the help of the local Cardiologist. That's about the same time they directly admitted me to the hospital, and the chills set in so badly that the bed was shaking beneath me.

This all occurred just so matter of fact, but at times too, seemed almost surreal. Most definitely, and there was no denying it, I was really sick with endocarditis; but because of the miracle of antibiotics, I survived. It turns out that my congenital, bicuspid aortic valve had failed and had become infected. Once the infection was eradicated, I later underwent a successful valve replacement, and today, I enjoy a normal lifestyle, including participating in some triathlons.

Yes, the marvels of modern medicine have produced some miraculous results, and in this case, I am living proof attesting to that. As for all the individuals involved with giving me my life back, I thank you and will be forever grateful. Naturally, I say all of this from the bottom of my heart, and thankfully, I still can!

2 comments:

  1. Dad and I just read this together. God has truly blessed our family. We couldn't imagine life without your big "heart" around.
    Love
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goes to show you what a fabulous athlete you are, to have achieved in endurance sports with a compromised valve all those years. T

    ReplyDelete