Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Trash talkin' is downright fun

In this era of sports fanaticism, I suspect that most people have heard the term, trash talk. It has been associated with comments which are considered disparaging, taunting, or boastful, especially between opponents trying to intimidate each other. Some players utilize this as a means of psychologically rendering their opponents helpless, and unfortunately, performance enhancing drugs or PED have contributed to some this behavior. However, I think that many times it is simply part of that heightened emotional state, and therefore, it is just part of the "game". However, when it comes to one of my nephews, our trash talk has become part of our "male bonding" relationship, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Several years ago, as part of the family summer vacation in Maine, we organized our own triathlon for the younger members of the family. Since many of them had been so supportive of their Uncle, I thought that it was time they accepted my invitation to participate in one for themselves. Because of my nephew's competitive nature, he quickly identified himself as one who really relished the challenge. We'd discuss training strategies, the equipment, and the various transitions, and of course, the "trash talking" was all included as part of the experience. For one reason or another, my nephew and I have yet to compete head to head, although I know who would win anyway. Regardless, we have continued to taunt each other, and I am more committed than ever to have him strut his stuff and put his money where his mouth is next year. Just remember, your Uncle is ready anytime, anywhere; you simply choose the place and time and I'll be there.

Trash talking does seem to have its place in the realm of competitive sports, and heavens, if you listen to the politicians these days, you'd swear that they were trash talking too. A good friend of mine mentioned a book about the art of gamesmanship, and according to the author, the psyche and subsequent performance of an individual may be greatly influenced through this form of verbal jousting. There does appear to be some relationship.


However, trash talk doesn't obfuscate the truth; my nephew is a bright young "man" who also loves to participate in sports, just like his uncle. He is his team's quarterback and a pitcher in his Little League, just like his uncle was, and if you ask me, the competition better watch out, because they are "going down". To my nephew as he celebrates his 12th birthday, Happy Birthday. However, I would just like remind him that he isn't going down this time, but in fact, he most definitely is on the way up, at least with respect to his age. But next year, "you are going down" when we finally compete in the triathlon, and that's the fact Jack!

2 comments:

  1. Also quite the fisherman and hockey player too.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY P.!!!!!!
    lOVE
    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Paul - you are the King of Trash (last summer cleaning out my crawl space that is!. Will look forward to catching you on the ice or field! Love Aunt Jean

    ReplyDelete