Saturday, May 22, 2010

Dad, let's just call it a wash, OK?

How many times have you done business with someone and at the end of the transaction, simply asked to have the bill sent to you. At least in the "old days" that would have been a rather typical scenario. Nowadays, however, payment is expected at the time of service unless other arrangements have been made. In fact, I have been asked to pay as much as half down and half on delivery. Does any of this sound vaguely familiar? When it comes to certain debts, I am sure the real cost of repayment cannot be remotely achieved, and let me explain why.

For the second time in as many years, my siblings and I assembled at the family home to complete the desperately needed paint job on the house and garage we had started last year. Fortunately, the weather prevailed again, and we were able to, this time, essentially put the finishing touches on the project. At the end of the day, somewhere between the socializing on the lawn and dinner, I would remind my father that he could anticipate receiving an invoice for the job any day. Of course, he was ready and willing to pay the bill the moment he was aware of it, as he always had in the past, no questions asked. Naturally, we shared a few chuckles during that part of the conversation because we both recognized the real truth about this "imaginary" invoice.

Account Number...8@SCH-ESTES

1125.00...Paint: 15 gallons Gray; 10 gallons White Trim
60.00...Brushes: 6 brushes; 6 rollers
30.00...Caulking: 6 tubes
8000.00...Labor
1000.00...Incidentals: food and beer

12,215.00...Total Cost

As I "contemplated" preparing the "invoice" for my Dad, I thought about all the sacrifices that he and my Mom had made over the years for the family. Perhaps the biggest expense would have been feeding a family of 8. Let's assume 3 meals a day for 18 years times 8 kids. That's 157,680 meals with an average price of $5.00 so roughly $788,000. Then there are the college educations at an average cost of $12,000 per child, so that's roughly $96,000. Now let's throw in the 4 cross county camping trips, the trip to Encampment and the multiple trips to visit relatives; how could you put a price tag on all that? As for the other day to day expenses, it would be simply mind boggling to "guessitmate" that.

I am no Accountant, but we would have to cook the books slightly to get this spread sheet to balance out. As I see things Dad, I think you and Mom have earned all the "credit" that you so richly deserve, and anytime you need something, just let us know. So, on second thought, maybe we should just call this one a wash because you appear to have a considerable credit balance, and remember, you can use it at anytime, day or night!

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you put things. God love Dad and Mom. And even after all that, doesn't he pull out his wallet to try and give you $20.00 for gas etc when you are at the house to help. I can't say it enough- We are so blessed.
    Love
    Susan

    ReplyDelete