Saturday, May 1, 2010

May Day, May Day

It's the first day of May, and that means it's May Day. There are a number of popular traditions around the world that mark this as a day of celebration, and according to the lyrics by Kool and the Gang, "there's a party going on right here". However, I am sad to say that, Mr. Kool and his Gang are not at my house, because the party is not going on right here. In fact, today is also known as International Worker's Day, and that's what is going "down" right here. It always seems that Spring is a good time to do cleaning, but what I have discovered is that "anytime" is a good time, provided you have the time. Therein lies the dilemma.

I started filtering through several piles of paperwork, and I still don't feel as though I have made much progress. Maybe that is why it rarely gets done, because the fruits of my labor are not readily apparent. It all goes back to that thing called stuff, and in this case, the stuff was made from former trees. I thought our society was going paperless, and instead I feel that I am constantly drowning in the mountains of paper that pass through my hands. I suspect I need to "subscribe" to the adage of, handle it once and throw it away twice. However, if I subscribe to yet another thing, I'll have that coming into my house too. I can't handle anything more.

So, as I sift through the reams of printed material at least hoping to be relieved of a fraction of this "pulp script-tion", I find myself thinking, "May Day, May Day". I am overwhelmed by the magnitude of this problem, and I am calling for help. No, it's International Worker's Day, and I am doing my work just like everyone else is. Hold your horses a minute. Isn't this the first day in May? Why that makes this Kentucky Derby Day! Let's put up our feet and "celebrate" like those horse people and have a mint julep. The paperwork will still be there tomorrow anyway. So, whatever you decide to do, have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. It is also St Joseph the Worker Day - and he's been a worker for 2000 years! Jean

    ReplyDelete