Thursday, May 27, 2010

Evolution suffers a setback or does it?

The caveman has been a very well recognized part of our natural history since the dawn of time. Fortunately, for some, that evolutionary history has brought with it a sense of civility and culture that our earlier ancestors likely failed to exhibit. Although the caveman did possess a very keen insight, however basic perhaps, into those primal forces which were necessary to keep men and women compatible. The space that bears his name is at the very epicenter of his personal comfort zone, and that would be the man cave. Evolution has brought about many great advances, but the contribution of the man cave remains a vestige of the past which should never be overlooked. Please allow me to illustrate some salient points about the "man cave" that will likely keep it permanently off the endangered species list.

During my lifetime, I have subconsciously found myself seeking the refuge of the "man cave". When I was in college, I spent my summers sleeping in the family tent trailer, partly because of its solitude, but in part because of its intimate connection with the outdoors. Later on, the "man cave" was the wood shop, my idea of a real "boardroom", where I was able to retreat for some serious downloading. Since the wood shop, I have actually set up camp in several manly environments, first Man Cave I, then Man Cave II, and now my safe haven is the ultimate Man Cave, or the Farm. Each has served a very fundamental need, initially one of survival and then ultimately one to call home. I suppose my experience hasn't been much different than my wandering ancestors in that regard, or anyone else for that matter who has yet to give up the vagabond life.

As you see, it may very well be part of man's DNA to hunt, gather, and eventually retire to the confines of the cave. The evolutionary process led us to a crossroad that "required" a decision, give up the man cave or move on. Well, from my perspective, the man cave is critical to survival, only instead of moving on, the man cave today is simply an "on site" destination, a personal space to call home. In fact, it's potentially a home within a home for some, but for me, I just call it home!

No comments:

Post a Comment