Friday, May 7, 2010

Keep your eye on the ball II

When I was younger and first learning to play baseball, I remember my father repeatedly telling me or my siblings to keep your eye on the ball until it hits the bat. Of course, when you are just learning that seemed nearly impossible; however, there did come a time when I could almost freeze frame the exact moment that the ball and bat collided in my mind's eye. That's precisely what I think my father really meant when he encouraged us all those years ago. Of course, I have written about how those profound words of wisdom that have impacted me over time, but what if your vision wasn't as good as Ted Williams', what would you do?

The passage of time generally means that we are all aging, and unfortunately, that can lead to a normal decline health regardless, even if we do all the right things. Exercise, eating properly, and not letting ourselves get too run down by getting plenty of rest typically are the hallmarks for maintaining good health. However, even if we do all these things and are blessed with a little luck, things happen. It's the natural part of aging whether we like it or not. This week, Grandpa had cataract surgery. After talking with him, he claims he has had no apparent complications, and his vision has improved considerably. He marvels at being able to read the crossword puzzles without the haze and blurriness that were present beforehand. Modern medicine is remarkable when the outcome is favorable.

This little thing called a cataract may have clouded his vision, but only temporarily. With his new and improved sight, my father has a second chance to "see" things "clearly" again. However, from my perspective, with his "insightful" thinking and crystal "clear" vision of life, he has always been able to keep his eye on the ball and that makes him 20/20 in my eyes!

1 comment: