Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Which would you choose?

Remember Larry Bird? He was perhaps one of the most exciting players to play in the NBA in the 80's and 90's. Imagine this now. You are offered tickets to see Larry Bird and the Boston Celtics play against the Atlanta Hawks starring Dominique Wilkins in an NBA playoff game or go to your niece's birthday party. Which would you choose? Well, let me tell how the story unfolded.

I just happened to be enjoying some rare time off from residency training, so I was at home visiting my parents. The time coincided with my niece's 5th birthday, and having been away for so many years, the idea of being part of the celebration was exciting to me. Then came the offer. I was invited to the 5th game of the Celtics-Hawks game, and what Celtics fan would pass up an opportunity to see Larry Bird and company in the playoffs at the Boston Garden? You guessed it, Uncle Stevie. It was a tough choice, but to be around this bright eyed 5 year old with her million dollar smile and family was all it took to convince me that this was the right decision. After all, I knew I could watch the game on TV with everyone, so how could anything else top that?

Over the years, I have made some, shall we say, questionable choices, but this was one that I never regretted. I do remember the outcome of that game 5, because the Celtics lost. They had to go to 7 games to win that series in a classic duel, one for the ages between Bird and Wilkins in which the C's won. It remains a classic, but being part of the family celebration far out weighed that alternative or "anything" that would have come from that experience. Happy Birthday Ms. LMF. As much as I enjoy watching all those Boston sports teams, they don't compare. You have been, you are, and always will be a winner, a perennial champion to me!

2 comments: