Sunday, June 20, 2010

He's an honest to goodness family man

I am sure that you have heard the expression that he's a good family man. I suspect that it you think of someone who first has a family, but more importantly, makes you think of an individual who is respected, honest, kind, and above all, has sacrificed himself because he loves his family. There aren't too many more important things in life than providing for ones you love anyway. On this Father's Day 2010, I would like to share a story with you about my Dad.

My father and mother enjoyed taking the family to movies when we were kids. We saw "How the West was Won" and "The Brothers Grimm" on the big screen in Boston; "Sound of Music" at the then brand new cinema complex in Lawrence; "Mary Poppins" in Haverhill; but one of the most memorable was "Swiss Family Robinson" at the drive-in in Salisbury. Remember the old drive-ins? You'd pull your car in with as many people as it could hold and pay one price for all. The speakers would hang from the window, and they couldn't hold a candle to today's quality, but what else did we have? On this Saturday night my father and mother loaded us into our green, wood paneled station wagon and off we went. When we picked our spot, my Dad backed in so we could put the tailgate down and watch from the back. We were all in our "jams" because when we'd fell asleep it was easier when we got home. Life was good, Mom and Dad and a passel of siblings, along with a few snacks and soda. The movie began not long after sundown. Dad nestled in among the tribe for the feature length movie, and promptly fell asleep. I just remember thinking that he was missing this great new movie from Walt Disney, and why would he do that? The evening was a success, no one was MIA, no "accidents", but most of all, we all enjoyed ourselves being together.

Years later now, I have been able to reflect on that event and find myself realizing how hard it is to be a parent, let alone one whose demands of work had him up many nights. Yes, when the day job ends, the "job" of being a parent awaits you, 24/7, 365 days a year, forever. Sure my father fell asleep, he was exhausted I'm sure, but what mattered most was that he was there with us, he and my Mom both. In spite of his profession, he has always been there and taken the time for his family. Certainly, he has been the example for me, as I became a father too. Over the years few people, if any, ever were upset with him knowing that he was taking time off to be with his family. Every day has been Father's Day when you have a Dad like mine. That's what I remember about my father on this Father's Day, and I thank God that I have been part of it!

2 comments:

  1. Dad thanks you for your kind words - WE ALL thank him for being a great Dad. Love Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is the best. There is no one I admire more. Thank you Dad. We love you.
    S

    ReplyDelete