Monday, June 14, 2010

I do

Not everybody can say "I do" with conviction. It applies to a number of different things, but what remains constant in many of the circumstances is that the person saying it agrees wholeheartedly with or to something. In the case of wedding vows, when both the bride and groom agree to the various "vows" set forth in their nuptials, they are proclaiming to each other and their witnesses that, to the best of their ability, they will carry out those responsibilities. Sometimes the expectation is something impossible, and it wouldn't be reasonable to expect anyone to consciously agree to that, but reasonable expectations are fair.

Today marks the anniversary of my sister and her husband's wedding day. She was the first to be married in the family at the tender age of 24, too young to be dealing with such responsibilities in my mind. However, they were committed, and I guess that's all that mattered. Now that they have celebrated 35 years of marital bliss, one would have to say that they apparently understood what "I do" has meant to them.

So, to my sister and brother-in-law, Happy Anniversary. The years have gone by far too quickly, and unfortunately, that's what "I do" realize!

2 comments:

  1. Today is my grandparent's anniversary, also. If they were still with us, it would be 86 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. We had a nice dinner out in Newburyport and just wondered- where did all those years go. Our 4 kids and little Erin are our biggest blessings.
    Love
    S & B

    ReplyDelete