Saturday, June 19, 2010

I haven't had a "pea" in years

For some unknown reason, peas have been at the epicenter of the vegetable controversy for years. Dating back to my earliest memories of food, I remember my parents making sure that I had eaten all of my vegetables, especially if there was going to be dessert. In fact, most parents have a story or two of how they had difficulty getting their kids to finish their vegetables, without getting into some sort of verbal exchange. Perhaps it's the texture or the color, but for whatever reason, the little emerald orb is a titan amongst its "veggie pals". However, for every rule there probably is an exception, and I just happen to recall one I'd like to share.

When I was younger, I remember that peas were not the enemy, but a welcome sight on my plate, especially with mashed potatoes and plenty of butter. However, that wasn't the only way that I remember that they could be enjoyed. I once tried them frozen, right out of the freezer, and discovered that they were a delightful treat. Consequently, I might "help" myself to a handful before putting them into the boiling water. Several years ago, my daughter and I were preparing dinner, and we decided to have peas with the meal. As I poured the peas into the steamer, I couldn't resist the temptation to pop a handful of those tasty morsels into my mouth. To my surprise, my daughter quipped that she delighted in eating her peas frozen too, so we helped ourselves several times over. She said, "you never know when we'll have the chance to do this again", and afterward we chuckled because neither of us realized that we both liked them frozen, as well as cooked.

Yes, peas are an enigma. It appears that you either like them or you hate them, but for those of us who like them, eating them frozen has added a new dimension to the delicacy. It has been awhile since we shared a handful of those frozen, sweet peas together, and simply writing this reminds me that I haven't had a "pea" like that in years. Just thinking about this makes me bust a gut laughing or is that just the call of nature? Please excuse me for a minute while I laugh my way to the restroom!

1 comment:

  1. I just ate a bunch of frozen peas last night myself. Nothing better- except maybe frozen blueberries.....

    ReplyDelete