Saturday, July 10, 2010

50 is the new 30, at least in "MA" mind

Last summer, while sitting on the beach during the family vacation in Maine, my brother said that at this time next year, all the brothers and sisters will be at least 50 or older. Naturally, this "disturbing" revelation did not settle well with any of us, including some of the in-laws who were joining this "elite" club too. Unfortunately, it is the harsh reality of celebrating that "29th" birthday too many times over. On the bright side however, it beats the obvious alternative of failing to reach this epic milestone, and we all know individuals who have been less fortunate than us. When my brother said that 50 is the new 30, several of us took consolation in that, even though he was not terribly convincing. July 10th is such a milestone for my sister-in-law, so let me explain why she epitomizes this new axiom.

I first met "MA" at my brother-in-law's, sister's wedding, where she was a bride's maid, and unbeknown to me, that proved to be the beginning of her relationship with my older brother. It ultimately grew into a lifelong commitment, and they were later married on a beautiful fall day in October of 1986, marred only by the collapse of the Boston Red Sox and Bill Buckner's mishap. Since that day, the rest of the family and myself have come to know her more fully. She has a passion for life which is evidenced in her family, her work, her community service, and most definitely in her faith. Those qualities, along with her effervescent smile and wonderful laugh, all are at the very core of her personality which we have come to know and love.

Over the years, I have had the good fortune of traveling with my brother and "MA", and those trips have created some of my fondest memories as an adult. We have been to Washington, DC, San Francisco, Chicago, and most recently Ireland, and I have always been welcomed wholeheartedly and without "reservation".

I am not sure that I truly subscribe to the tenet that 50 is the new 30, but it works for me, now that most of us have arrived on its doorstep. During a recent conversation with "MA" sister-in-law, this concept resurfaced, and we both agreed that, in reality at 50, neither of us feels our age. There is so much of life yet to live, only the sense of urgency seems to be greater to accomplish all those remaining goals. On your initiation into the half century club, I have and always will consider myself fortunate to have you as "MA" sister-in-law. Remember, life comes at you fast, so make the most of it. Happy Birthday and welcome to the club!

No comments:

Post a Comment