Friday, July 9, 2010

Oh No, Not Another Mary

Having grown up in a Catholic family, you can imagine that there were a few women whose given name was Mary. Both my grandmothers were named Mary, and I have a sister named for her grandmother. Surprisingly however, it is a name that has largely fallen off the most popular list, except perhaps among the Catholics, and that has even changed in recent years. It can be quite confusing when the entire cohort is gathered, to say the least, because there are so many within the family. Consequently, the respective middle names are additionally used to distinguish them all from one another, and in the case of one niece, she primarily is known only by her middle name.

The youngest of 4 girls, MG has grown up in the shadow of her older sisters, but certainly that hasn't deterred her in any way. In fact, I dare say that it may have inspired her all the more. She enjoys basketball just like her father and twin sisters and recently picked up the LAX stick to join her high school team. However, although she possesses an athletic spirit, she rounds out her personality with a strong academic aptitude. During a recent trip to Ireland, I realized first hand how skilled she is with the computer too, which comes as no surprise for these young people of today. Incidentally, I had a grand time with her family while traveling around the Emerald Isle.

Yes, MG is not just another Mary, but rather she is her own person indeed. She is spirited, perhaps consistent with her curly hair, but since I also share this genetic trait, I prefer to think of it instead as having a real zest for life. That she has. So, on this day, I wish you Happy Birthday Ms. MG. Although you are a Mary, I prefer to call you Gretchon in my pretend French accent. Au revoir!

1 comment:

  1. Another wonderful Birthday tribute for yet another wonderful niece. Happy Birthday Gretchon.
    Love
    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete