Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Maine Menu

Computers and their use have become so common place today that we think nothing of pulling out a lap top and connecting to the internet, even in rather remote places like the Maine woods. However, there are some places where cell phone and internet access are still not readily available. Incidentally, it wasn’t that long ago when these activities were nothing more than a dream of some forward thinking individuals, and here we are in the techno-age wondering how we ever survived without them and even get frustrated when we don't have access.

Recently, while sitting in a café in Bar Harbor, the words main menu appeared at the top of the page of offerings, and it just struck me funny. Although the words are the same as those on my computer or on the telephone answering machine, I couldn’t help myself from thinking of all those delectable foodstuffs that I had been enjoying over the last few days. I had eaten a lobster roll and onion rings from Days lobster pound the night before, and I was about to have a tasty omelet with homemade wheat bread at this café. As the day unfolded, I found myself eating a lasagna meal with my friends at Walker Pond before leaving for Millinocket and a white water rafting trip. The dessert for this day was not ice cream but S'mores by the camp fire. Everyone probably has enjoyed those sticky treats, but when you cook them over an open fire, they just seem to taste better.

The following day we enjoyed homemade pancakes with fresh blueberries. What isn't on this menu? Not to be outdone, but wouldn't a trip to the Jordan Pond House in Acadia sound tempting for some of their famous popovers? Naturally, we had to sample this gastronomic delight too, but it wouldn't be complete if we didn't take a ride around the Park's carriage trails to help with our digestion. For dinner, it was another lobster roll, but this time we helped ourselves to some good old fashioned Hood's ice cream to round "ourselves" out.

Yes, this trip to Maine has me connected, but not through the internet or by telephone, but by reconnecting me to what is good in life, enjoying the fellowship with family and friends. Indeed, we have sampled some of life's pleasures and even had seconds in some cases. When I was welcomed into the state the sign said, "Maine, the way life should be", and they are right but when you are on vacation, it's awfully easy to feel like this is the norm. Oh well, I think I will just have to opt for the way life should be, sometimes, and thankfully, it has allowed me to download and recharge my batteries!

1 comment:

  1. Delicious comments! John was on a mission to sample Lobsta rolls from Byfield to New Brunswick and Eastport to Rangeley. He is a expert. I'll have to get him to Days the next trip.

    Love
    S

    ReplyDelete