Thursday, July 15, 2010

Everyone Needs a Shower

When I was younger, I recall my mother and father reminding my brothers and me that it was bath night. In those days, we didn't take a bath every day, even though my brothers and I had played "trucks" in the dirt all day long. Of course, the sisters didn't need any reminding, but the brothers, that was a whole other story. You can only imagine how dirty we'd get playing like we did under the lilacs in the backyard. Years later, the idea of not bathing became incomprehensible, but I suspect that comes with "maturity". However, there are times when even the women need a shower, and frankly they insist on it; let me tell you why.

My niece is getting married this week, so naturally, what does a bride-to-be need? A shower, of course. No, she was not felt to be offensive to her mother, aunts, cousins, or other invited guests. They preferred, instead, to shower her with gifts in the very traditional sense. The women, and a few special menfolk, gathered at the grandparents for the "affair". From all reports, the shower was a great success, in that the bride now has an ample dowry to proceed with the nuptials.

Yes, showers can be quite refreshing, especially when the dirt and grime of the day have accumulated, but showers can be cleansing for those preparing for the big day too. It is a time for all involved to start that transition of blending the two families. Good luck "ME" and "D" on the eve of your wedding. In the words of your Grandmother, "Is everybody happy?" You bet we are, and we all hope and pray for your happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment