Wednesday, October 9, 2013

No, IM not "Bach"

What makes a Renaissance man?  If you look at the dictionary definition, you'll see it defined as:
A man who has broad intellectual interests and is accomplished in areas of both the arts and the sciences.
Well, knowing that my mother loved to sing and play the piano, I decided it was time to become a Renaissance man, so I began taking piano lessons.  As people age, even though some talents may fade, music seems to be a common thread that carries on, and for my mother, her love of music never seemed to be affected by time.  I'd often hear her singing along with the radio or humming to the music she'd listen to on the TV.  But what I loved most was her accompaniment when I played a piano piece that she recognized.  Hearing her critique my playing from a distant room only made me more aware of her presence.  It was a delight.

Even though she is gone, I have continued with my lessons, but still struggle to play well.  However, knowing that she inspired me to play, regardless of my present or future abilities, she will be with me always.  How can you "B flat" knowing that?

2 comments:

  1. No need to be, we had a"Bach" in the music world, keep going, I am sure you are much better than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you finally got around to doing this.
    Is it the piano from restore, or did you leave that behind in Ohio?

    ReplyDelete