Tuesday, October 22, 2013

We're Dancing

Often times, before toddlers even take their first steps, parents may hold their children pretending like their dancing.  There are occasions when this activity simply helps to soothe a restless child.  There might be some singing while carrying out this little rite of passage, but before you know it, the kids are off and running.  Behaviors like these morph so quickly however, that it's hard to even remember sharing some of those tender moments.  It's interesting, but as we age and become more dependent again on those who provide us care, we seemingly revert back to those cherished times, although the roles are typically become reversed. In the case of my mother, she was no exception.


For the last several years, my mother had become accustomed to sitting in her automated lift chair.  However, she later acquiesced to the other recliner that my father had occupied for years.  Why the change?  I think my father just decided he needed the lift chair, so that was that.  Unfortunately, my mother required some help from her  comfy chair; so when it was time for her to make her way to the kitchen, I would help her up by having her cradle her arms around my neck and then have her stand with my help.  Once we were up, that was my chance to relive those tender moments as a parent.  I'd pretend that my mother and I were dancing, just like those early days with my daughter.  It allowed us to hug and be "young" again, although, I don't know who was the parent in this situation.  However, the whole experience was, well beautiful.

Even in those final days before she died, when we'd roll her over to bathe and change her, I'd break into the same little dance routine.  I knew she felt the exchange of emotion, even though she could no longer respond.  Here she was giving me yet another gift, as we were trying to care for her.

Mom, I'd ask you to dance, but I believe dad already beat me to it for this one!


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful blog! A precious image, one that will always be in your mind. It reminds me so much how my mother cared for my grandmother. Mom used to ask the same question "Who was the parent and who was the child" but what did it matter, it still the loving and giving that matters most of all. You mother was a very lovely lady. Oh and yes I think your dad beat you to it, just have to wait your turn.

    ReplyDelete