Saturday, January 2, 2010

01022010, backwards and forwards

Numbers play such a critical role in our daily lives, it would be hard not to notice them. Most days start and end by looking at a clock full of numbers. While driving to work, we notice the speedometer, the speed limits, all while listening to the radio whose name is associated with a number. Numbers are all around indeed, and sometimes they mean so much more.

When I was a youngster, my brothers and sisters would visit my grandparents who lived in Boston. It was a real treat to spend a weekend or at least an overnight with them. One of my fondest memories from those days was heading on up the street to the local bakery, Lyndell's. Grandma generally would call ahead with her order which included round bread, a chocolate mousse cake, and my favorite, their apple pie. Upon entering the bakery, we'd walk over to the ticket dispenser to take a number. One by one, customers were waited on by the staff. I couldn't wait for our number to come up and be announced and simultaneously show up on the "now serving" sign. The anticipation was palpable. After collecting the order, my siblings and I usually got to pick something special for ourselves, like a cookie or an eclair. Our mouths would be watering for the taste. By the time we walked home, we had worked up an appetite enough to guarantee we'd get one of those tasty morsels. Grandma was always easy to convince too!

As I notice the palindromic appearance of today's date, I am reminded of those happy times at my grandparents. Not because of the date itself, but more because it has given me a chance to reflect "back" on those days. And as I look "forward" to the future, I realize how lucky I've been, how fortunate I am, and how bright the future should be because of that heritage. So take a number, because 01022010 is now being served!

No comments:

Post a Comment