Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pearls from the Heart-land

How could we celebrate the 4th of July without fireworks? For that matter, how could any major event be complete without the anticipation of a heavenly gaze to view the splash of color we call fireworks. It is simply too hard to imagine. Except for a select few, this extravaganza is a time honored tradition to behold and hopefully enjoyed by all.

As I recall, many of our summer trips to Iowa seemed to coincide with the July Fourth celebration. Older cousins would thrill us with their handling of firecrackers while sparklers were just right for the youngsters in the crowd, like me. Once I remember my brother just did toss his firecracker in time enough not to do significant bodily harm, thank God. That was the end of that risky behavior. But what I remember most were the "Atom Pearls". These little, multicolored balls, filled with some sort of "explosive", were designed to pop after throwing them firmly to the ground. We'd walk downtown to Wesell's store and pick up packs of these mighty orbs. If grandpa was with us, he'd throw in some balsa wood airplanes to insure that a good time was had by all. The scene back at the house was like a summer camp. Kids launching planes while others were throwing their pearls, either one at a time or in multiples, giving a sequential barrage of "pops". What could be better than this? Fireworks, of course? So after dinner, we'd head over to the neighboring town to view the display. I am sure that this epitomized small town America, and here we were in its' breadbasket.

Fireworks mean many things to many people, and everyone has a personal favorite to tell. For me, while anticipating the show, I oftentimes find myself daydreaming about those days back in Iowa with my Grandpa, not so much about the fireworks, but about the whole constellation of events. The time on the farm, the walks to the cemetery, the trips to the dump, the train coming through town, sitting on the porch, and of course, the "Atom Pearls" all touch off memories of a time gone by. So the next time I crane my head and look to the heavens, I'll be reminded of the fun in Iowa and pray there is an encore performance to the grand finale!

1 comment:

  1. See if you can find "Sprite Bombs." Closest thing on the market these days. They're pea-sized ugly gray little balls, but they're much more satisfying than "bang snaps," aka "snappers" or "poppers."

    ReplyDelete