Sunday, January 10, 2010

We're Having Waffles

"We're having waffles", is a familiar line from the movie "Shrek" for those who have seen it. Donkey is engaged in conversation with Shrek, and he announces they are having waffles for breakfast, in spite of Shrek's disapproval of donkey even being with him. It's a classic, movie moment, if I do say so myself. So, what is the significance behind these carbohydrate rich, tasty, contoured delights? Let me tell you with a story.

When I was about 12 or 13, I remember asking my mother if we could have waffles one Saturday morning. The ready to use mixes of today weren't as frequently available to us growing up, so we usually made the waffle batter from scratch. Naturally, this would take some planning and disruption to the kitchen, so a last minute option on Saturday morning usually meant, no waffles. Since my mother was a chemist, mixing up this concoction the night before didn't pose a major obstacle. She and I would get out the ingredients and the mixers and have at it. The first few times she'd make sure I was doing things right, but like any good, cooking mentor, she eventually handed over the "spatula". We typically would find ourselves short of something, so she'd improvise. Who was I to question "The Great Santini" of the kitchen, also known as Mom. After completing the initial phase of the experiment, we'd cover it and put it away until morning. Mom generally offered to do the clean up, because well, she was Mom.

On Saturday morning my siblings and I would awaken knowing we were going to have this gastronomic delight. We'd get the waffle iron out that my Uncle had given to us and proceed to heat up the maple syrup on the stove, no microwaves back then. The aroma filled the kitchen. The batter would ooze out the side onto the counter top because we had overfilled it. Other times, we'd be impatient and want to lift the lid up too soon, making some interesting creations. Just the right amount of butter to compliment the maple syrup and you had yourself a real palate pleaser. No need to go away hungry from this table.

All in all, however, our homemade waffle breakfasts were just that, homemade. As I learned from all of this, the blend of ingredients is oh, so important: one willing student, several willing "guinea pigs" on whom you can test your product, and an endless supply of energy and TLC from your mentor. So far, I haven't found a more perfect recipe!

2 comments:

  1. Doubt we had much in the way of real Maple Syrup. Just a cup of pure cane sugar, half cup of water boiled over the stove for a couple of minutes then a dash of the secret ingredient ""real" maple-flavored Mapleine"
    Never better.
    Chas

    ReplyDelete