Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Young Catcher who Lived near Rye

J. D. Salinger recently passed away at the age of 91 in his home in Cornish, NH. At one time, he was thought to be the most important American writer of the post WWII era. Perhaps he was best known for his novel, Catcher in the Rye, from 1951. Originally published for adults, it became popular with adolescent readers for its themes of alienation and rebellion. If I recall, it became required reading for us in freshman English class. Little did I know that his title work would provide an inspiration for this writer.

When I was 8, I remember taking rides to do errands with my parents and siblings. An errand could have been anything from going to pick up milk or to go on a house call with my father. If we were headed for the local department store for provisions, it would not have been uncommon for my Dad to collect my brothers and me and head for the sporting goods section. He loved baseball, so naturally, if we were looking for a new bat or glove, we knew Dad would be an easy mark. Once, I spied this blue chest protector at the Mammoth Mart, and that's when I decided it was time I become a catcher. After all, if I was going to catch, I needed the proper protective gear. Dad couldn't resist my "demand", since it made some semblance of sense to him too. Well, that chest protector served me well. I played catcher throughout Little League and right on through my days as an American Legion ballplayer. Although the chest protector may be gone, the memories surrounding our days practicing and playing baseball are forever etched in my mind.

Not all the errands were about "business", however. Some of those rides were just that, rides. Rides to see the scenery along the coast, particularly into NH. We enjoyed the sights of Hampton Beach, the Fuller Rose Gardens, and onward to Rye and Portsmouth. A stop for an ice cream would almost always complete the trip too.

As we say farewell to J. D. Salinger, I will be eternally grateful for the inspiration he provided, not only in his writings, but for the theme of this reflection into the past. As you can see, I was, unknowingly, perhaps a "character" in an unpublished sequel, "the catcher who lived near Rye"!

No comments:

Post a Comment